Friday, January 15, 2010

The Kite Runner


The Kite Runner tells the story of Amir, a young boy from the Wazir Akbar Khan district of Kabul, who betrayed his best friend Hassan (by running away when bullies raped Hassan), the son of his father's Hazara servant, and lives in regret. The story is set against a backdrop of tumultuous events, from the fall of the monarchy in Afghanistan through the Soviet invasion, the mass exodus of refugees to Pakistan and the United States, and the rise of the Taliban regime.

Overwhelming and Haunting. That is my two word description of this book.

I am glad I read this book and I think more people should. It is certainly a 'heavy' read and I don't recommend it for the faint hearted. It is serious and the problems are real. But I am glad, because my eyes and my heart have been opened to how so much has changed for many of the people in the Middle East. At one time, their towns were peaceful and children ran and played in the streets. But war has changed their homeland.

One phrase that resonated with me in the book was that Afghanistan is full of children that have had no childhood. My heart goes out to any child who cannot live as a child is meant to live, carefree!

After reading this though, I am tired. My heart and mind are both tired. I have no idea what I am going to read next, but it will certainly be a lighthearted story. I don't think I can handle another book this heavy for a while. Any suggestions for my next read??

2 comments:

Crystal Clear As Mud said...

I totally agree with you about this book! I love it, but not in a normal "love a book" way. Definitely read something light-hearted first, but when you get ready be sure and read the female version as well, A Thousand Splendid Suns. Veeeeeeery good, I like it better than Kite Runner, but be prepared going in to it too!

Catherine T said...

I am reading this right now. I really like it and will definitely check out the other one too.


My Photo
I am married to my best friend and am the mom of two wonderful kids. I have had my ups and downs in regards to health, happiness and weight loss. This blog will tell you about all of those ups and downs and my opinion on the randomness that we call life.

Instagram



Becky’s Babbles






Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog





Sizzlin' Savages

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Flergs

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved