Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Healing Spell by Kimberley Griffiths Little

A few weeks ago, Ashton's school held a book fair and she came home super excited. She said there was a book that she wanted to get for me. I just had to read it. When I asked her why, she said because the girl on the cover is too cute. So, after I stopped giggling, I asked her what the book was about. {Insert cricket chirping here...hehehe} So, I got online and looked up the book. After reading the description, I have to admit I was intrigued.

This story was very good. Simple. But good. The lead character, Livie, believes she is the reason her mother is in a coma. The story starts with the mother coming home from the hospital because the doctor's cannot do anything else for her. But she is still in a coma. So, throughout the story, you feel the conflicting emotions that Livie has with seeing her mother in a coma and having the guilt of having caused the accident.

It is a very sweet coming of age story. Although it is a young readers book, I would recommend this to all of you. I am so glad Ashton liked the cover enough to buy it for me.

Eleven-year-old Livie is terrified when her father insists that they bring her comatose mother home from the hospital. How can she look at, much less touch and care for, Mamma when she alone knows that she caused her illness? As Mamma continues to languish in bed, Livie grows more and more estranged from her family, a chasm that begins to close only after she gathers her courage to visit the local traiteur, who gives her the formula for a healing spell. As Livie collects the spell's necessary ingredients, she begins to open up to the knowledge that she is loved and cherished by her family. Little explores the extremes of childhood guilt and its consequences in this harsh yet well-crafted story about fully drawn people. The bayou, with its rich culture, is an atmospheric character that overlays the story with mystery and dread. A special offering for readers seeking a challenge of the heart as well as the mind.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glory be unto queen sunlight 25yrs I have be very sick
8yrs ago I survived coma due to the sickness and sometimes
I witness some scratch and when I do I only have symptoms
very strong and sometimes the scratching becomes unbearable,
also have so many disease my tooth burnt to brown I lost my
beauty my body got swollen, there is really nothing I have not
done I lost my job as the result of my illness and all the money
I have made were all spent everything there was no cure I sold my
only car and use the money for drugs there was no cure the only
change I see all for my effort trying to make a living because of
my health I became poor and can't afford drugs anymore for years I
have been praying to die but death did not come I am still very young
25yrs and because of the way I look no suitors came to ask me of marriage.
Then I choose it as my fate maybe that was what I was made for and my i
contacted sunlight through the helpof chan and i did everything she said
that day at 12;00pm somthing woke me up to the bathroom i put the shower
that was how i slept the next day i saw myself been changed and skin became
fresh the fatness in me burnt i became normal that was how she cured me and
also gave me a job the comapany i have applying fpr years i can't last night
the manager called that something tell him to give me this job i am just coming
from now and i want tell you readers if you can't trust spell caster fair enough
people has been complaining but goddess is the key if you need her pls feel free
to email sunlightspell@gmail.com she is real and genuine thanks queen mother i praise
you.


My Photo
I am married to my best friend and am the mom of two wonderful kids. I have had my ups and downs in regards to health, happiness and weight loss. This blog will tell you about all of those ups and downs and my opinion on the randomness that we call life.

Instagram



Becky’s Babbles






Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog





Sizzlin' Savages

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Flergs

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved