Friday, December 30, 2011

Another Resolution Resolved!!

Yep...you read that right! I completed two resolutions this year! Holy crow!

I track the books I've read through a wonderful online site called Shelfari.com. If you don't have a book shelf on there yet, you need to get one. As you mark books as read, the site will track how many books you read each year. In 2010, I read 53 books and my resolution for 2011 was to match or beat that. AND...I beat it!!! In 2011, I read 58 books!!! Where do I find the time?

I haven't done book review posts for the last several books that I've read, so I decided to sum them up with a short blurb on each. Maybe you can read one of these books in 2012 and let me know what you thought about it...

Destined: House of Night Series
I gave this book a 4 out of 5. Not my favorite in the series, but it is always fun to read about Zoey and the nerd herd.
In Destined, the forces of Light and Dark collide as their epic struggle focuses on Tulsa’s House of Night. Zoey is home where she belongs, safe with her Guardian Warrior, Stark, by her side – and preparing to face off against Neferet. Kalona has released his hold on Rephaim, and, through Nyx’s gift of a human form, he and Stevie Rae are finally able to be together – if Rephaim can truly walk the path of the Goddess and stay free of his father’s shadow.

But is Zoey really safe? Does she truly know those who are closest to her? And will love win when it is tested by the very soul of Darkness? Find out what’s destined in the next thrilling chapter of the House of Night series.



Crank Trilogy: Crank, Glass and Fallout
You guys know I love Ellen Hopkins. And she didn't disappoint in this series of books. I gave this book series a 4 out of 5 as well, but I preferred the first two books. They are very eye opening to how much drugs can impact an ENTIRE family.
The heart-wrenching bestselling Crank trilogy shows that addiction is never just one person's problem.
Crank
Kristina is the perfect daughter: gifted high school junior, quiet, never any trouble. Then she meets the monster: crank. And what begins as a wild ride turns into a struggle for her mind, her soul--her life.
Glass
Crank. Glass. Ice. Crystal. Whatever you call it, it's all the same: a monster. Kristina thinks she can control it. Now with a baby to care for, she is determined to be the one deciding when and how much, the one calling the shots. But the monster is strong, and before she knows it, Kristina is back in its grip . . . and it won't let go.
Fallout
Nineteen years after Kristina met the monster--crank--her three children are reeling from the consequences of her decisions. Instead of one big, happy family, they are desperate tangle of scattered lives united by anger, doubt, and fear. There is more of Kristina in her children than they would ever like to believe. But when the thread that ties them together brings them face-to-face, they'll discover something powerful in each other and in themselves--the trust, the hope, the courage to begin to break the cycle.


Ruined
Ashton found this book at her book fair and just had to buy it for me. She said it was for Christmas, but then she tried her best to make me take it. I didn't want to, so she gave up...or so I thought. When I went to bed that night, she had put the book under my covers so I wouldn't have a choice but to see it. I really enjoyed this book and was so happy she bought it for me. Another 4 out of 5.
And I am always game for a good ghost story!


The Christmas Wedding
This was a very sweet and simple read. With a touch of James Patterson mystery. I gave this one a 4 out of 5 on Shelfari, but really it is more of 3 out of 5. Not a literary classic, but fun to read and a nice "palette cleanser".
The tree is decorated, the cookies are baked, and the packages are wrapped, but the biggest celebration this Christmas is Gaby Summerhill's wedding. Since her husband died three years ago, Gaby's four children have drifted apart, each consumed by the turbulence of their own lives. They haven't celebrated Christmas together since their father's death, but when Gaby announces that she's getting married--and that the groom will remain a secret until the wedding day--she may finally be able to bring them home for the holidays.
But the wedding isn't Gaby's only surprise--she has one more gift for her children, and it could change all their lives forever. With deeply affecting characters and the emotional twists of a James Patterson thriller, The Christmas Wedding is a fresh look at family and the magic of the season.


Accidentally Dead and The Accidental Human
I read the first book in this series a few months back (The Accidental Werewolf) and loved. These books are a paranormal comedy...Great sex scenes and so much action it had me on the edge of my seat. I loved all of three of these even though they are simple. Both are 4 of 5. There are more books to come in this series and I can't wait to read them all.
It's a lousy first day on the job for Nina Blackman when a patient, loopy from the anesthesia, bites her. At least he was cute. But for real drama she can't beat the next evening. Nina wakes up with a set of razor-sharp fangs, bionic vision, supersonic hearing, and a taste for blood. But there's a good explanation: It's her patient, Long Island vampire Greg Statleon. Actually they're perfect for each other—if Nina's willing to commit to one man for eternity.
Wanda Schwartz is raking in the dough selling Bobbie-Sue Cosmetics-and she's a pro at recruiting new saleswomen. So, she's shocked when a man comes to one of her in-home parties-a very hot man. Heath Jefferson is sure to put some extra spin into a lot of women's color wheels.
When Wanda is diagnosed with a terminal illness, it doesn't have to be a death sentence. With a werewolf and a vampire for best friends, she has options that most ordinary people wouldn't. As Wanda ponders what to do about her mortality, Heath reveals he has secrets, and one of them is that his former bloodlust has turned into an old-fashioned lust-for Wanda. And he's already given up too much to lose the love of his lifetimes.


Maybe a resolution for 2012, should be to keep up with my book reviews on my blog???

1 comment:

Kathie Truitt said...

58 books?? Oh my! I wish I could do that. I did get a new Kindle though and look forward to doing more reading. I always get a kick out of it when someone likes James Patterson writes something so unorthodox from what he usually writes. I liked "The Christmas Wedding." True, not a classic, but to be honest, I find most of the classics to be an incredible bore. Shh - don't tell the English literature teachers throughout the country.

I think I'm going to order Ruined on my Kindles.


My Photo
I am married to my best friend and am the mom of two wonderful kids. I have had my ups and downs in regards to health, happiness and weight loss. This blog will tell you about all of those ups and downs and my opinion on the randomness that we call life.

Instagram



Becky’s Babbles






Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog





Sizzlin' Savages

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Flergs

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved