Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Book Talk Tuesday


From BarnesandNoble.com
The New York Times bestseller: a true story in which the keepers of the Warsaw zoo saved hundreds of people from Nazi hands.
When Germany invaded Poland, Stuka bombers devastated Warsaw—and the city's zoo along with it. With most of their animals dead, zookeepers Jan and Antonina Zabinski began smuggling Jews into empty cages. Another dozen "guests" hid inside the Zabinskis' villa, emerging after dark for dinner, socializing, and, during rare moments of calm, piano concerts. Jan, active in the polish resistance, kept ammunition buried in the elephant enclosure and stashed explosives in the animal hospital. Meanwhile, Antonina kept her unusual household afloat, caring for both its human and its animal inhabitants—otters, a badger, hyena pups, lynxes.

What did I think?  Well, when I first started this book, I was disappointed.  Luckily, I figured out why and was able to adjust my view.  I thought this was historical fiction.  So while reading, I was looking for the typical "romanticism" that a historical fiction can add to a story.  But this is actually a historical accounting.  It takes place in Warsaw during WWII when Germany invaded Poland. 

Once I was able to switch gears and absorb the story as non-fiction, I began to love the people and the animals that touched so many lives in such a horrible time.  I especially felt for Antonina...she was left to "run" the household when Jan left to fight in the war.  With a house full of people and a pregnancy that kept her bedridden, I was amazed at how strong she truly was.

If you have any interest in this time period and knowing more about what happened to those personally touched by the German invasions, then I highly recommend this book.

1 comment:

Crystal Clear As Mud said...

I actually listened to this one and the way it was read made it sound more of that "historical fiction" style. I was curious to know if reading it in book form would change the experience...sounds like it!


My Photo
I am married to my best friend and am the mom of two wonderful kids. I have had my ups and downs in regards to health, happiness and weight loss. This blog will tell you about all of those ups and downs and my opinion on the randomness that we call life.

Instagram



Becky’s Babbles






Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog





Sizzlin' Savages

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Flergs

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved