Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Book Talk Tuesday

You get a bonus on this Book Talk Tuesday...I'm gonna review the book and the movie for Beautiful Creatures.

So let's talk about the book first....

from BarnesandNoble.com
Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power, and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.

When I saw the trailer for Beautiful Creatures, I just knew I had to read the book before the movie came out.  So, I quickly bought the book and started reading.  The book is really nicely written.  It was a smooth read and I thought it transitioned well from each happening to the next.  I'm excited to read the next three books and see where the author takes the story.  I feel truly invested in the characters.  Since having seen the movie trailer, I knew who was playing each role in the cast.  It was nice to picture the appropriate face with the character. 

Now for the movie...

On Sunday afternoon, we went to see the movie!  For the sake of complete honesty, I have to admit that I am thoroughly disappointed.  Not because it was a bad movie, but because they made some very big changes that don't follow the book.  The acting wasn't cheesy.  The CG wasn't cheesy.  So, there wasn't anything "technical" that I disliked.  It was merely that the parts of the book that I found to be extremely important...well, they either weren't there or they were changed in such a way that it left me seething.

My family and friends, that saw that movie with me (and hadn't read the book), thought the movie was very enjoyable.  They had no issues with it at all.  So I guess if you take anything from this review, you need to go into it knowing that the book and movie don't match.  I almost wish I hadn't read the book before seeing the moive.  Which is completely opposite of how I usually like to operate.  But in this case, I would say go see the movie, then read the book.

I'm not sure if I will buy this on DVD when it comes out.  Maybe after I forgive the screenwriter for making the changes he/she made, I'll be able to find a place in my heart for the movie.  But until then, it isn't on my list to buy. 


1 comment:

Nicole said...

I love all your post titles!!!! So cute!


My Photo
I am married to my best friend and am the mom of two wonderful kids. I have had my ups and downs in regards to health, happiness and weight loss. This blog will tell you about all of those ups and downs and my opinion on the randomness that we call life.

Instagram



Becky’s Babbles






Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog





Sizzlin' Savages

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Flergs

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved