Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Book Talk Tuesday

I have two more books to review for you today.  And they are miles apart from each on topic.

The first is Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson.  I first heard about this book at book club.  It was really just a discussion on the book, but no one had it with them.  Ugh!  Luckily, my friend, the Other Becky, brought it the following month and I snatched it right up.  Speak is about a young girl that is affected by a tragic event the summer before her freshman year in high school.  As she transitions into high school, she basically stops talking....and NO ONE questions it.  This girl is tough though and I thought the book was a fantastic story.  It was a little painful at times (especially since I have a daughter), but I'm glad to have read it.  I can see why the book has multiple awards.  I plan to have Ashton read it soon. 

from barnesandnoble.com
Melinda is a friendless outcast at Merryweather High. She busted an end-of-summer party by calling the cops, and now nobody will talk to her, let alone listen to her. As time passes, she becomes increasingly isolated and practically stops talking altogether. It is through her work on an art project that she is finally able to face what really happened at that terrible party: she was raped by an upperclassman, a guy who still attends Merryweather and who is still a threat to her. It will take another violent encounter with him to make Melinda fight back. This time she refuses to be silent.  





The next book is book ten of the House of Night Series....Hidden.  And yes, you read that correctly...so far there are ten books in this series.  I was feeling a little frustrated since this series seems to be lasting forever, but I've gotten this far so why stop.  There is a moment though when I start each new book that I kinda sigh because I am reunited with this great cast of characters.  But through the ten books, can you believe they only span a couple months of time?  It's like reading a day to day soap opera it is so detailed.  There are supposed to be five more books and I am sure I will finish them out.  If you are into the vamp thing, then I say read these.  (I love that they are set in Tulsa, OK and the authors are local!)

from barnesandnoble.com
Neferet’s true nature has been revealed to the Vampyre High Council, so Zoey and the gang might finally get some help in defending themselves and their beloved school against a gathering evil that grows stronger every day. And they’ll need it, because Neferet’s not going down without a fight. Chaos reigns at the House of Night.

1 comment:

Crystal Clear As Mud said...

I totally want to read Speak! I just have to get through some of my borrowed books, haha! Maybe this month I can catch up a little.


My Photo
I am married to my best friend and am the mom of two wonderful kids. I have had my ups and downs in regards to health, happiness and weight loss. This blog will tell you about all of those ups and downs and my opinion on the randomness that we call life.

Instagram



Becky’s Babbles






Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog





Sizzlin' Savages

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Flergs

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved