Sunday, June 28, 2009

This Side of Heaven

When I read a book, typically in the first couple of chapters, I have created what I "think" the story is going to be about. At least a basic idea...right? Well, this one certainly threw me for a loop. Mid-book, the entire story caught me by surprise! I was not ready for what happened, but it made the story even that much more capturing.

I really enjoyed this read. There were really sad parts, but I didn't ever cry...which of course is weird for me. But I had hard time putting it down and kept wanting to read every free moment I had.

Josh's life spirals into a tailspin after he's hit by a drunk driver. He gets medical disability but it's far short of the insurance settlement that never seems to come. His mother Annie laments as she watches Josh drift along for years, making one bad decision after another. Just when it looks like the insurance settlement will finally come, out of the blue a gold-digger claims her seven-year-old is Josh's daughter. When the truth comes to light, will Annie discover a treasure more valuable than she could have expected?

At the end of the story, the author, Karen Kingsbury, writes a letter to the reader...this was probably the most heart wrenching part of the whole book. So be sure to read the letter, but wait until you are done with the story.

I highly recommend this book and hope you will find as much enjoyment from it as I did. Oh yeah, and after I read the story, I found out this book is book 3 of the Cody Gunner series...but much like book 3 of the Mark of the Lion series...it can stand alone. So, I've added the first two books to my want to read list on shelfari.

What's next for me in the area of reading??? New Moon of course! I've been missing my vampire fix and need to get back to it.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Looks like a great book and, as usual, you gave another outstanding review. I've wondered about her books! Thanks for sharing!!


My Photo
I am married to my best friend and am the mom of two wonderful kids. I have had my ups and downs in regards to health, happiness and weight loss. This blog will tell you about all of those ups and downs and my opinion on the randomness that we call life.

Instagram



Becky’s Babbles






Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog





Sizzlin' Savages

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Flergs

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved