Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Road Trip - Day 7 & 8 - Memphis

After our evening in Murrells Inlet, we spent the rest of the night packing our bags and loading the car for our early exit the next morning.  We left at 4am, yet again.  And this time we headed on our way home to the west.  Our stop for the night....Memphis!


We stayed at the Heartbreak Hotel!  OMG!  It was such a swanky place.  We couldn't afford one of the "super swanky" rooms, but it was still neat to stay there.  I mean...check out that pool!





Saturday morning, we walked up a little path on the hotel property and checked in for our tour of Graceland.  I mean, really?  You can't go to Memphis and not visit Graceland.




It was a very surreal experience for me to be inside the home of Elvis Presley and hear the stories of his life.  I know many say he wasted his life and his talent, but I think it was very traggic.  I just don't think he could handle the stress and pressure of the insane fame.






On the tour, I learned a few things that I didn't know.  Like just how generous Elvis was.  He was most proud of his humantarian awards.  He was always helping our people down on their luck and helping the town of Memphis.  I also learned that Elvis is buried on the property.  He was buried in a public cemetary for two months until his father got permission to move his body.


Also part of the tour was his automobile museum and his airplane, The Lisa Marie.  I mean....he drove those cars and flew in that plane.  Surreal, I tell ya!  Surreal!






After our tour of Graceland, we hit the road for the remaining 7 hour drive to get home.  I love that we are building these wonderful memories with our kids and with my parents and my sister and her family.  I hope my kids grow up and reminence on the times we spent together.

2 comments:

Kendra said...

What a fun way to end your vacation! I went to Graceland when I was 12 and I still remember it, even though I didn't really know about Elvis. You guys are such awesome parents!

Oh, the splashpad I took the kids to is a Sellars Park, on S. Villa, south of SW. 89 between May and Penn. I grew up on Hillcrest Drive, just down the street from The Stowes.

mistymadisonjo said...

I love the heart shaped pool. We are definitely going to have to go there one day.


My Photo
I am married to my best friend and am the mom of two wonderful kids. I have had my ups and downs in regards to health, happiness and weight loss. This blog will tell you about all of those ups and downs and my opinion on the randomness that we call life.

Instagram



Becky’s Babbles






Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog





Sizzlin' Savages

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Flergs

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved