Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Book Talk Tuesday

Today I've got a "conversational" book to review and an audio book to review...two books in one day!!!

Ransom Riggs is an author who also has a hobby of collecting vintage photographs of people he doesn't know.  He wrote a great novel from some of his quirkiest pictures...Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.  (You can read my review of it HERE.)  So, when I saw his newest book Talking Pictures, I knew I wanted to read it.  It is different from the novel in that he has focused on pictures that have writing on them.  What does the writing on the pictures tell us about the people in them that we don't know. 

It was so fun to see the old pictures and what people find worthy of documenting on the picture.  This book makes me want to print out more pictures and make sure I write on the back of them for the sake of future posterity.  This is a perfect coffee table book and that is where it will go when it is has been sufficiently circulated through my book club.

from barnesandnoble.com
With the candid quirkiness of Awkward Family Photos and the confessional intimacy of PostSecret, Ransom Riggs's Talking Pictures is a haunting collection of antique found photographs—with evocative inscriptions that bring these lost personal moments to life—from the author of the New York Times bestselling illustrated novel Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. Each image in Talking Pictures reveals a singular, frozen moment in a person's life, be it joyful, quiet, or steeped in sorrow. Yet the book's unique depth comes from the writing accompanying each photo: as with the caption revealing how one seemingly random snapshot of a dancing couple captured the first dance of their 40-year marriage, each successive inscription shines like a flashbulb illuminating a photograph's particular context and lighting up our connection to the past.

The audio book is by Jennifer Weiner.  I've read and listened to several of her of books.  The latest is The Next Best Thing.  This is the story about Ruth Saunders.  She is an aspiring television writer and has plenty of personal pain and drama from which to draw.  But it is her strength that keeps her going as she tries to make it in Hollywood.  This wasn't my favorite story of Weiner's, but it was still a good one.  I really like the voice that Weiner gives her characters and how they aren't the perfect unattainable personalities...they are real people.

from barnesandnnoble.com
At twenty-three, Ruth Saunders left her childhood home in Massachusetts and headed west with her seventy-year-old grandma in tow, hoping to make it as a screenwriter. Six years later, she has hit the jackpot when she gets The Call: the sitcom she wrote, The Next Best Thing, has gotten the green light, and Ruthie’s going to run the show. But her dreams of Hollywood happiness are threatened by demanding actors, number-crunching executives, an unrequited crush on her boss, and her grandmother’s impending nuptials.

Set against the fascinating backdrop of Los Angeles show business culture, with an insider’s ear for writer’s room showdowns and an eye for bad backstage behavior and on-set politics, Jennifer Weiner’s novel is a rollicking ride on the Hollywood roller coaster, a heartfelt story about what it’s like for a young woman to love—and lose—in the land where dreams come true.

1 comment:

Why Girls Are Weird said...

I've been wanting to read The Next Best Thing but after the last Jennifer Weiner book I read I'm scared I won't like it!


My Photo
I am married to my best friend and am the mom of two wonderful kids. I have had my ups and downs in regards to health, happiness and weight loss. This blog will tell you about all of those ups and downs and my opinion on the randomness that we call life.

Instagram



Becky’s Babbles






Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog





Sizzlin' Savages

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Flergs

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved