Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Book Talk Tuesday on What I'm Up to Wednesday

I am a bad, bad, bad blogger as of late.  Goodness, I just can't get back in the swing of things.  I'm doing a combined post today for both Book Talk Tuesday and What I'm Up to Wednesday....chock full of books that I haven't reviewed for you guys.

So buckle up....this a long list....

from barnesandnoble.com
Written in 1948, 1984 was George Orwell’s chilling prophecy about the future. And while 1984 has come and gone, Orwell’s narrative is timelier than ever. 1984 presents a startling and haunting vision of the world, so powerful that it is completely convincing from start to finish. No one can deny the power of this novel, its hold on the imaginations of multiple generations of readers, or the resiliency of its admonitions—a legacy that seems only to grow with the passage of time.
Examines different aspects of Orwell's anti-utopian classic, with a biographical sketch of the author and critical essays on this work.

I wish I could say that I loved this book.  After all, Orwell is the father of distopian classics.  But alas (hehehe, alas) I just didn't love it.  I'm listened to this in audio form and am grateful for that.  Cause I don't think I would've made it through the whole book without someone reading to me.  But I can totally see how this book is a classic.  Seriously, in 1948, this was a stretch and a complete leap of faith for Orwell.

frombarnesandnoble.com
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.
Insightful, bold, irreverent, and raw, The Fault in Our Stars is award-winning-author John Green's most ambitious and heartbreaking work yet, brilliantly exploring the funny, thrilling, and tragic business of being alive and in love.

I thought this story was beautiful and emotionally impactful.  It's a YA book, so the writing is not complex, but I don't think a story has to be complex to be good or even wonderful!  I dare to say that I thought this story was wonderful!  I was completed drawn in by Hazel and Augustus.


from barnesandnoble.com
An internationally bestselling phenomenon: the darkly suspenseful, highly controversial tale of two families struggling to make the hardest decision of their lives — all over the course of one meal.
It's a summer's evening in Amsterdam, and two couples meet at a fashionable restaurant for dinner. Between mouthfuls of food and over the polite scrapings of cutlery, the conversation remains a gentle hum of polite discourse — the banality of work, the triviality of the holidays. But behind the empty words, terrible things need to be said, and with every forced smile and every new course, the knives are being sharpened.
     Each couple has a fifteen-year-old son. The two boys are united by their accountability for a single horrific act; an act that has triggered a police investigation and shattered the comfortable, insulated worlds of their families. As the dinner reaches its culinary climax, the conversation finally touches on their children. As civility and friendship disintegrate, each couple show just how far they are prepared to go to protect those they love.
     Tautly written, incredibly gripping, and told by an unforgettable narrator, The Dinner promises to be the topic of countless dinner party debates. Skewering everything from parenting values to pretentious menus to political convictions, this novel reveals the dark side of genteel society and asks what each of us would do in the face of unimaginable tragedy.

Mediocre.  That is really the best I can say about The Dinner.  It is touted as being the European Gone Girl, but I didn't like it near as much as I liked Gone Girl.  I didn't feel connected to the characters and thought the story was lacking.

from barnesandnoble.com
An Invisible Thread tells of the life-long friendship between a busy sales executive and a disadvantaged young boy, and how both of their lives were changed by what began as one small gesture of kindness.
When Laura Schroff brushed by a young panhandler on a New York City corner one rainy afternoon, something made her stop and turn back. She took the boy to lunch at the McDonald’s across the street that day. And she continued to go back, again and again for the next four years until both their lives had changed dramatically. Nearly thirty years later, that young boy, Maurice, is married and has his own family. Now he works to change the lives of disadvantaged kids, just like the boy he used to be.
An Invisible Thread is the true story of the bond between a harried sales executive and an eleven-year-old boy who seemed destined for a life of poverty. It is the heartwarming story of a friendship that has spanned three decades and brought meaning to an over-scheduled professional and hope to a hungry and desperate boy living on the streets.

I listened to this in audio and thought it was a very touching story.  It reminded me of Same Kind of Different as Me and I liked it just as much (you can read my review of Same Kind of Different as Me by clicking HERE).

from barnesandnoble.com
An emotionally complex, heart-wrenching novel about love, motherhood, loss, and new beginnings, Fly Away reminds us that where there is life, there is hope, and where there is love, there is forgiveness. Told with her trademark powerful storytelling and illuminating prose, Kristin Hannah reveals why she is one of the most beloved writers of our day.

I've actually left a lot off the description from B&N...this book is the continuation of Firefly Lane and if you haven't read it yet, I don't want to give anything away.  But let me say first....I loved Firefly Lane.  It brought out so many emotions and I can truly see myself reading it again someday.  Now for Fly Away....Yep!  I loved it too.  It was a beautiful continuation to the story and I think it perfectly brought us back in the world of TullyandKate.  (You can my read my review of Firefly Lane by clicking HERE.)

1 comment:

Kari said...

Nooo! You didn't like 1984?! It's one of my favorites. But again, I like weird stuff. I'm really trying to get out of that.

But A Fault in Our Stars?! I was a friggin mess. There were tears, snot, dry heaving, laying in the middle of the floor bawling "Why?!"

Every time I think about it I tear up. My heart aches now, thank you very much.


My Photo
I am married to my best friend and am the mom of two wonderful kids. I have had my ups and downs in regards to health, happiness and weight loss. This blog will tell you about all of those ups and downs and my opinion on the randomness that we call life.

Instagram



Becky’s Babbles






Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog





Sizzlin' Savages

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Flergs

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved