Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Balk Talk Tuesday

My book this week is A Field Guide to Burying Your Parents by Liza Palmer.  This is the second book I've read recently by Palmer (click HERE for my other review) and I really enjoy her writing style.  She writes in a manner that is like sitting down and talking to a girlfriend.  And this book was no different.  But that title.  What were they thinking?  I really wish it had a different title, but alas, it does not.  So I hope you won't let the title throw you off.  I hope you will give it a chance.

The story is about Grace who has not spoken with her family in five years.  Because five years ago, her mother died and Grace fell apart.  Now five years later, she is faced with her family again while they gather at the bedside of their estranged father who walked out on them all 22 years before.  

I really liked the story and the level of forgiveness shown by the characters.  It proves true that when all is said and done, your family is all you will have to lean on.  I highly recommend this book. Palmer has also written a third book, Conversations with the Fat Girl.  I plan to read this one pretty soon too.

from barnesandnoble.com
Grace Hawkes has not spoken to her previously tight-knit family since her mother's sudden death five years ago. Well, most of the family was tight-knit-- her father walked out on them when she was 13 and she and her two brothers and sister bonded together even closer with their mother as a result.

She's been doing her best to live her new life apart from them, but when their estranged father has a stroke and summons them, Grace suddenly realizes she's done the same thing he had done...abandoned those who need her most. 

And need her they do, for inside the hospital walls, a strange war is unfolding between the pseudo-kindly woman who is their father's second wife and the rest of the original Hawkes clan. Upon reconnecting with her brother and sisters, Grace will find a part of herself she thought was lost forever. As they unravel the manipulative deception of the second Mrs. Hawkes, Grace will finally be able to stand up for her family-- and to remember what a family is, even after all these years.

1 comment:

Why Girls Are Weird said...

I really need to learn how to forgive someone that, right now, I really don't feel deserves it AT ALL. Maybe I need to read this?


My Photo
I am married to my best friend and am the mom of two wonderful kids. I have had my ups and downs in regards to health, happiness and weight loss. This blog will tell you about all of those ups and downs and my opinion on the randomness that we call life.

Instagram



Becky’s Babbles






Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog





Sizzlin' Savages

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Flergs

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved