Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick

He placed a notice in a Chicago paper, an advertisement for "a reliable wife." She responded, saying that she was "a simple, honest woman." She was, of course, anything but honest, and the only simple thing about her was her single-minded determination to marry this man and then kill him, slowly and carefully, leaving her a wealthy widow, able to take care of the one she truly loved.

What Catherine Land did not realize was that the enigmatic and lonely Ralph Truitt had a plan of his own.


Scandal. Debauchery. Narcissism. Deviousness. This book has them all and lots of each of them too. Just when you think you have it figured out, some other shocking event takes place.

I was surprised by the ending and left feeling content but it was a rough road getting to the end. I guess part of the roughness is out my romantic views of the early 1900's. But I forget they had all the same types of sin available to them too, just on different levels. This wasn't a favorite of mine, but after so many lovey, dovey young adult books, this one definitely thrust me right back into the world of adult literature.

I'm glad I read it and would recommend it if you need some scandal in your reading life.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I told you I had mixed feelings about this book when I bought it. I thought some of the lead's thoughts were kinda weird and un-needed. but I liked the scandal and how it ended up.

Crystal Clear As Mud said...

My mom thought this book was really good and I can't wait to read it...but, now you're making me question...hmmm...


My Photo
I am married to my best friend and am the mom of two wonderful kids. I have had my ups and downs in regards to health, happiness and weight loss. This blog will tell you about all of those ups and downs and my opinion on the randomness that we call life.

Instagram



Becky’s Babbles






Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog





Sizzlin' Savages

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Flergs

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved