Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins


The Hunger Games takes place in an unidentified future time period after the destruction of North America, in a nation known as Panem. Panem consists of a wealthy Capitol and twelve surrounding, poorer districts. As punishment for a previous rebellion against the Capitol, every year one boy and one girl between the ages of 12 and 18 from each district are selected at random and forced to participate in the Hunger Games, a televised event where the participants, or "tributes", must fight to the death in a dangerous outdoor arena until only one remains. The story follows fatherless 16-year-old Katniss Everdeen, a girl from District 12 who volunteers for the 74th Games in place of her younger sister, Primrose. This is her story of trying to survive The Hunger Games and keeping those she loves alive.

A few months back, the girls in book club started reading this series. They highly recommended the books, but since the third book hadn't yet been released, I had decided to wait. So, I held my ground and covered my ears when they would talk about it.

The first part of August, I ordered the first two books from Amazon and pre-ordered the third one. I am so glad I waited too. Getting to read all three books back to back made it an amazing reading experience.

The Hunger Games is a young adult book series that has captured the hearts of millions....mine included. Once I started book one, I couldn't put it down. I felt every emotion that Katniss experienced. I caught myself gasping out loud and feeling physical pain as different events occurred.

Now that I have finished all 3 books, I am actually looking forward to reading them again. For me, this is at the top of my list for best book series. It sits neck and neck with the Twilight Saga. I highly, highly recommend this series. I have talked Quinn into reading the series and I've also talked one of his friends into reading it too. The series has the makings for an amazing movie too, which if you believe everything on the internet, it is slated to be out in 2013.

(Disclaimer...I am about to get a little high and mighty....About the middle of book 2, I kept thinking about the symbolism in the book and how it can be taken at present day events. I am not a highly political person, but I couldn't help but compare the control that the capitol had over the district to how our government is attempting to control us today. The fight for freedom from an oppressive government resonates throughout the book and I couldn't help but feel a connection. A connection to the desire to have a government controlled by it's people, rather than a government controlling it's people....okay, that's over now.)

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I agree these books (first 2) for me are some of the best books I have read! LOVE EM

Debbie said...

Another blog friend of mine read these books...I think they are a bit to much for me right NOW, but may read them in the future!!


My Photo
I am married to my best friend and am the mom of two wonderful kids. I have had my ups and downs in regards to health, happiness and weight loss. This blog will tell you about all of those ups and downs and my opinion on the randomness that we call life.

Instagram



Becky’s Babbles






Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog





Sizzlin' Savages

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Flergs

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved