Saturday, April 23, 2011

My Favorite Group of Girls

Last night, our book club met at the Warren to enjoy some great food, good conversation and book reviews and then see Water for Elephants...one of our favorite books brought to life on the big screen.

So, let's start with the good. Book club was awesome. We had a wonderful time (and might I say the nachos were extremely TASTY)! I think we easily have over 60 books in rotation right now. I can't think of a better group of girls to share my love of reading with.


Now, the not so good. First off, if you haven't read Water for Elephants, I highly recommend it. This is a beautiful story. But there are parts of the book that are very hard to read. The imagery is just too realistic. So, when those scenes were brought to the screen, they were even more disturbing. I had a very hard time watching them and my friend Nicole, just couldn't. She had to leave the movie. Although we know that no animals were actually hurt, it was so painful to watch the animal abuse. Aside from those few scenes though, the movie was beautiful. They did a great job of translating the book to the screen and there really weren't any deviations from the story. Reece Witherspoon and Rob Pattinson were both fantastic. It was "super swooning" for both of them.


So, do I recommend you see this movie. Sort of. If you have a super soft spot in your heart for animals, this may not be the movie for you. But if you think you can get through those tough scenes, then see it. It really is a good story. I honestly have no desire to see it again though. And I probably won't buy it on DVD, but I am glad I saw it and I am always happy to see my favorite books turned into movies. (BTW, you can read my review of the book by clicking HERE.)

Next book to screen is Something Borrowed on May 6. I just read it this week and will have a review out for you guys in a few days!!! I am super excited for this one.

2 comments:

mistymadisonjo said...

I'm so glad you said something. Since I'm not a big reader, I've considered just seeing the movie, but not now. I wouldn't be able to watch it either.

Angbrad03 said...

I loved both the book and the movie. Yes, it was tragic, but those scenes are the only way they could portray August as the monster he was--anything less than what they did would have made August seem softer than he was. And since I imagined it so much worse in my head, the movie scene wasn't all that shocking to me. I really enjoyed the film, but I loved the book more--I enjoyed the way the book gave more of an insight into elderly Jacob's life, frustrations, etc.


My Photo
I am married to my best friend and am the mom of two wonderful kids. I have had my ups and downs in regards to health, happiness and weight loss. This blog will tell you about all of those ups and downs and my opinion on the randomness that we call life.

Instagram



Becky’s Babbles






Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog





Sizzlin' Savages

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Flergs

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved